This post covers notice to tenant to clean property.
As a landlord, you always wish to see your property clean and in good condition.
The problem is when you have a tenant who does not care about cleaning your property, which negatively impacts your property condition and turns the property maintenance costs into mountains.
While thoroughly vetting tenants appear to be a solution to this problem, it is still difficult to guarantee that you will rent to hygienic tenants.
How do you ask the tenant to clean your property?
Generally, there are two ways you can nicely ask the tenant to clean a property
- Talk to him by phone or face to face
- Send a formal notice (this is the best)
If you discover a tenant cleanliness problem at your rental property, the first step is to contact the tenant.
A simple conversation with some tenants may be all that is required to get them to correct the situation.
Others may require you to send the tenant a formal letter outlining the problem, how they must fix it, and by what date they must do so.
Here I will walk you through everything you need to know about giving a Notice to the tenant to clean the property, including
- What is a Notice to tenant to clean property
- Why do you need it
- When to send a Notice to tenant to clean property
- What if your notice does not work
- how to write an effective Notice to tenants to clean property
- notice to a tenant to clean property sample
Let’s get started
- What is a Notice to tenant to clean property?
- Why do you need a Notice to tenant to clean property?
- When to send a Notice to tenant to clean property
- What if my Notice to tenant to clean property does not work
- How to write a Notice to tenant to clean property
- How to effectively serve a Notice to tenant to clean property
- Notice to tenant to clean property sample
- Notice to a tenant to clean property pdf
What is a Notice to tenant to clean property?
A Notice to Tenant to Clean Property is a brief statement of facts written by a landlord to a tenant informing the tenant that he must keep the leased premises clean and in good condition.
This notice informs a tenant of certain violations of the Tenant’s obligation to keep the premises clean and sanitary as provided under the lease agreement.
Why do you need a Notice to tenant to clean property?
A cleanup notice is a friendly way to communicate your expectations for property cleanness to your tenants.
Your renters, like everyone else, have different ideas about what it means to be tidy.
A good rental cleanup notice can effectively communicate your cleaning standards and expectations, resulting in the problem being solved while maintaining a positive tenant-landlord relationship and lease agreement compliance before things get out of hand.
When to send a Notice to tenant to clean property
There is no defined time limit for you to send a Notice to the tenant to clean the property.
If you are facing cleanliness issues, it is always a good idea to send your notice as soon as possible.
Even the cleanest tenant can experience normal wear and tear in your property.
But when you notice signs of larger-scale problems, it’s time to act — and act quickly.
The more serious the situation, the more urgent it is to act before you could negatively damage your property and cause other inconveniences to other renters and neighbors.
The common cleaning issues that are a matter of concern include
- Keeping wastes that block vents
- Hoarding papers or boxes that could attract unwanted pests
- mold and mildew in bathrooms
- ovens and stovetops grease
- pet waste
- unpleasant odors
What if my Notice to tenant to clean property does not work
When after sending a notice a tenant does not clean the property or unreasonably did not heed your notice, the excellent option to remedy the situation is to terminate your lease agreement through an eviction process.
Yes! why would you keep a tenant who does not want to clean your property and heed your demands?
I know what you think; the eviction process is complex! That’s true but a dirty tenant is more than that.
Can You Evict a Tenant for Being Dirty?
Why not, you can evict a tenant for being dirty, but before doing that;
Landlord-tenant laws exist in every state and county. There are rights for both tenants and landlords. So, before you begin the eviction process, make sure you understand your local laws and what you can and cannot do.
The typical eviction procedure is as follows:
- You notify the tenant that you are about to file an eviction complaint in court.
- You file the formal complaint.
- Both parties appear in court.
- If the court rules in your favor, the tenant will be ordered to evict within specified date
How to write a Notice to tenant to clean property
You can write your Notice to the tenant to clean the property in two ways: as a form or as a formal letter.
REMEMBER! the purpose of your Notice to the tenant to clean the property is to notify the tenant that they need to clean your property.
Do the following to write an effective Notice to the tenant to clean the property (whether in the context of a form or a letter).
- Provide your name, address, and contact information
- Include the date of the notice
- Include the tenant’s names, addresses, and contact information
- Provide the rental property address, including unit number if applicable
- Make reference to the lease agreement (where necessary Include a copy of the original lease with the cleaning clause highlighted.)
- Be specific about what the tenant needs to clean.
- Explain how the lack of cleanliness affects/harms the property.
- Give your tenant a deadline to complete the cleaning process, depending on the severity of the problem.
- Inform your tenant that a follow-up inspection will be performed the day after the deadline.
- Maintain a professional tone
- Be honest
- Be polite and respectful.
- Abide by Fair Housing Act (makes it illegal to harass persons because of race, color, religion, sex (including gender identity and sexual orientation), disability, familial status, or national origin.)
How to effectively serve a Notice to tenant to clean property
The following are effective methods for serving a cleanup notice to a tenant.
- Hand Delivers the notice to the tenant(s) at their rental or workplace.
- If the tenant(s) cannot be located, the landlord may serve the notice on anyone over the age of 18 who lives in the rental or works at the tenant’s place of employment. If this is done, the landlord must also mail the notice.
- If the tenant(s) cannot be found and no one over the age of 18 is available to hand deliver the notice, the landlord may post the notice in a prominent location on the rental unit. If this is done, the landlord must also mail the notice.
- Make use of a process server or sheriff.
- Serving the tenant by mail ( make sure you use the mail address indicated in your lease agreement)
NB: Keep a copy of every cleaning notice and correspondence you send to your tenant. The copies will serve as proof that you notified the tenant in the event that you take the matter to court for eviction due to lease violations.
Notice to tenant to clean property sample
3 DAYS’ NOTICE TO CLEAN PROPERTY
This is to notify you that you are failing to meet your cleaning obligations as outlined in Clause 7.3 of our lease agreement dated January 20, 20… for House No. 1 at 101 Street Avenue.
According to Clause 7.3 of our lease agreement, you are required to keep the property clean and well maintained, but we are concerned that you are not doing so because;
- You are hoarding papers and boxes, which cause unwanted infestations.
- You are not properly disposing of pet waste, which has resulted in an unpleasant odor in the hallway and throughout the building.
This notice serves as an official request to clean the house and maintain its good condition within three calendar days from the date of receiving this notice.
NOTE THAT Your home will be inspected by management on January 14, 2020. If any lease violations are discovered during the inspection, you may be required to pay for repairs or cleaning services. If the house is in poor condition, you may also be served with a notice to clean up or vacate.
NOTE FURTHER THAT Failure to comply with this request may result in lease termination proceedings.
Thank you in advance for your prompt attention. Please contact me if you have any questions or concerns.
Notice to a tenant to clean property pdf
Download a free Notice to a tenant to clean property (pdf)